25 July 2013

make your own light box

Hi, I have had a lot of nice comments about my photography and so I thought I'd let you in on my secret to success... well, one of them!! :)

I take all my pictures in my light box, and no, it isn't a fancy expensive contraption, it is a card-board box adapted with tissue paper and white card!



I was originally thinking of buying an expensive light box, but I thought I'd try this first and I am so pleased with how it has turned out. 

All you need is a large box, white tissue paper, a large piece of white card and some lamps. 

How to make:

1. Cut out three sides of the box, leaving large borders for strength. 

2. Cover the holes you have created with a single layer of white tissue paper. 

3. Place the box on the side you have not cut out, and position your white card inside so that it creates a curved back-drop, use sticky-tape to stick it at the top - you may need to cut your card down to the right size to fit your box. 

4. Place your lamps so they shine through the tissue paper- this is better than having lamps glaring directly at what you are photographing, as the tissue paper creates a nice diffuse and gentle light reducing massive shadows.

Note: make sure your lamps are not too close to your tissue paper as this would be a fire hazard, and do not leave your lamps on unattended.

And there you have it, a fantastic light box for lovely photos :)

Lucy x

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, what a great idea. I normally use white card, bright sunlight and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome!

    A sunny day does help with this too....sometimes I feel like I need brighter light bulbs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea, so simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Handmade Mondays - they're very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i can tell! thanks for introducing me to these :0

      Delete
  5. Great idea. We will definitely be making these!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a nifty bit of kit. I'm going to have a go at making one, though I will have to keep my cats out of it! Tissue paper plus a cardboard is a new toy to them.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cats could have a lot of fun with this!

      Delete
  7. Looks great! Did you photograph your jewelry in it? I sure think they look beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you clever thing! This is a great idea! Taking the photos takes up more time than the blogging bit as I really struggle with light and shadows, you may well have just made everything a whole lot easier, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I am really happy to have helped you :-)

      Delete
  9. A late visitor from Handmade Monday - great idea! Have a good week, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab "How To" thank you :-) Your photos are great and I love the styling of the shot taken further back of the whole set up! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the guide= will make mine soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...